While 2013 will long be remembered for the absolute perfection of the growing season, the year also provided some benchmark moments here at Meteor Vineyard.
* Latkes. That’s right – latkes. The unusual confluence of Thanksgiving and Hannukah gave us the first “Thanksgivukkah” in, well, a VERY long time. Barry’s always spectacular holiday menu went a step further, fusing the traditions (and riffs on traditions) from both celebrations. In Barry’s words, “Producing epic Latkes is an exact analog. Technique is essential and the recipe is only a guideline to be adjusted by feel and experience. If you are willing and patient you will be rewarded with a divine experience that will be celebrated by those you prepare them for.” Get the recipe here.
* James Beard award winner Stuart Brioza cooked one of the most memorable meals of the year in the Meteor Vineyard kitchen. The day started with a butchering class at Hudson Farm with a spring lamb raised on the property and proceeded with a harvest of fresh ingredients from Lee Hudson’s incredible farm. In the kitchen Stuart improvised utilizing every part from the lamb. Perfect pairings for our wines!
* The last decade has seen an explosion of incredible restaurants in nearly every city across the country. While we don’t have a lot of wine to spread around we felt it important to expand our national distribution in Georgia, Virginia, Florida and Colorado.
* (Piggybacking on the above) We are proud to find the wines of Meteor Vineyard in many of the top restaurant cellars across the country including The French Laundry, Daniel, BlackBerry Farm and Manresa. The best meal of 2013? Hands down The French Laundry on October 19. Check out the full list of restaurants that feature Meteor Vineyard wines.
* Once again, the second week of August provided one of the greatest meteor showers of the lunar calendar. Our bi-annual Perseid Meteor Shower Party was in full swing celebrating both the shooting “stars” and the release of our 2010 Perseid Cabernet Sauvignon. Save the date for our next fete in August 2015!
* Ok, we said it at the top, but the 2013 harvest was one of the best in memory, with near perfect growing conditions from bud break to harvest. Absolutely perfect berries! While we are a long way off from completing the blends, the raw materials for the wine is absolutely ethereal. Of course, 2012 is still in barrel as well which is equally exciting!
* One of the great joys of Meteor Vineyard has always been working with and selling fruit to a number of top winemakers from the valley (we keep about 25% for the Meteor Vineyard wines). The list has been a who’s who over the years with Andy Erickson, Phillipe Melka, Tony Soter and, of course, Bill and Dawnine Dyer working with the fruit. In a nod to the uniqueness and quality of the site, Bart and Daphne Araujo, whose stewardship of the legendary Eisele Vineyard produced some of California greatest wines, became our newest vineyard clients! We can’t wait to see what they do with the fruit.
* The Hearts Delight Wine Auction in Washington DC has long been a bastion of the great properties of Bordeaux. When they looked to incorporate 2 properties from California into the French heavy tasting, Meteor Vineyard was the first property they tapped. A nod to our style which bridges Napa Valley and Bordeaux? We are excited to return next year!
* Professional wine critics have continued to wax eloquent about the Meteor Vineyard wines crafted by winemaker/partners Bill and Dawnine Dyer. Check out the latest words from Steven Tanzer and Antonio Galloni.
We wish you and your loved ones all the best in the new year and look forward to 2014!
The Meteor Vineyard Team