"If Coombsville has an epicenter, it's Meteor Vineyard." Patrick Comiskey, Wine and Spirits Magazine
"Whether you’ll be here with us or joining from afar, you are part of the spirit of Auction Napa Valley and your donation and support will make a difference to the healthcare and youth education programs that the Auction supports." Napa Valley Vintners on Auction Napa Valley 2014
Auction Napa Valley is a yearly event that allows lovers of Napa Valley's exquisite wines to help support our community while gaining access to rare experiences, wines and events. For Auction Napa Valley 2014, Meteor Vineyard is offering 10 cases of our 2012 Perseid Cabernet Sauvignon to be auctioned off during the Barrel Auction on Friday June 6. For those of you in attendance we invite you to join Winemaker/Partner Dawnine Dyer and General Manager Jason Alexander for a taste. For those not making the pilgrimage this year absentee bids are now available. Lot #254!
The 1986 vintage in Bordeaux has always both intrigued and beguiled. When the wines were released in 1988 and 89, they were largely lauded for their intentisty of fruit and firm tannins. However, as the years went by and collectors began "checking in" on their maturation, the tannins failed to mature, leaving hard edged wines that were head scrtachers. Would these wines ever reach their potential?
We headed to San Francisco's famed NOPA restaurant Saturday night for a mini retrospective.
1986 Chateau Montrose
I have always loved Montrose for its brawny intensity and this did not dissapoint. Still intensly colored with copious amounts of spice and leather on nose. Medium bodied with tannins just starting to integrate. Solid showing.
1986 Chateau Cos d' Estournel
Any discussion of Cos inevitably references the "exotic" architecture of it's buildings. Interestingly it is this same vague definition of "exotic spices" that always gives the wine away as Cos. Brick rim and subtle savory aromas of coriander, coffee and leather. Soft, integrated tannins. Gorgeous.
1986 Chateau Laynch-Bages
I have rarely been as enamoured as others with "Lunch-Bag" but this bottle was amazing. Still intensly colored with dark brooding fruit and a full bodied and structured palate.
We did break the Bordeaux exploration to look to the Rhone Valley as well...1986 Chateau de Beaucastel
Absolutely gorgeous. Perfumed and delicate with etheral texture and incredible length.
I can't wait to sink some 25+ year old Meteor Vineyard into the lineup in 2030!
We hope you had a great Thanksgiving holiday with family, friends and copious amounts of food, wine and good cheer. Here at Meteor Vineyard, this years convergence of Thanksgiving and Hannukah offered a unique opportunity for Barry to innovate on what is always a spectacular meal. His recipe for "epic latkes" is a must!
To help celebrate this holiday season we're opening up our cellar for you to "build your own vertical" of our award-winning Perseid Cabernet Sauvignon. Select your favorite three vintages from 2005-2010 to fill the vacancies in your collection or send an impressive holiday gift to a colleague, friend or family member.
But our cellar isn't limitless! Only a select number of Meteor Vineyard Perseid vertical packs are available and all will be packaged in a custom wood box. Order by Sunday December 8 for holiday delivery.
The entire Meteor Vineyard team wishes you and your family the happiest of holidays!
Dawnine Dyer on the 2013 vintage;
"I'm very excited about the 2013 vintage. Harvest was early (and sugars a little higher than normal) but we got luck with the weather in the 3 weeks before harvest- temperatures in the low 80s- no heat spikes and the first rain settled the dust and softened the skins and voila- perfection! The color evolution during cold soak has been impressive and as we start into fermentation, the aromas are just lovely.
Bordeaux may own 2009 and 2010 but Napa Valley has 2012 and 2013 sowed up!"
Mike Wolf on the 2013 vintage at Meteor Vineyard;
"We started harvest on 9/19 and finished on 9/28, which is significantly earlier than is typical. All of the fruit was picked at night, and delivered to the winery first thing in the morning. Yields were slightly above normal, and the quality and ripeness were exceptional."
Alister & Paine speaks with Meteor Vineyard winemaker/partner Dawnine Dyer about making wine from Meteor Vineyard fruit and the 2008 vintage.
COLOR - 92%
AROMA - 94%
TASTE - 94%
FINISH - 93%
OVERALL IMPRESSION - 93%
Summary : Aromas of pure cassis and sun warmed black berries meld seamlessly with notes of mocha, fennel, sweet tobacco and filberts. The rich, plush mouth feel explodes with flavor and intensity, bolstered by supple tannins and lovely oak integration. Though this wine will clearly benefit from time in the cellar, it is absolutely gorgeous.
There is much to be thankful for in the last year. First and foremost we survived the end of the world according to the Mayan calendar (phew). More important was the tremendous support and recognition for the wines over the past year. While we are never big on the Top 10 roundup, we made a list of the hallmark moments for Meteor Vineyard in 2012.
Meteor Vineyard Top 10 of 2012
1. Coombsville became Napa Valley’s 16th AVA. The news broke December 2011, but it truly became “official” in January 2012. What’s the big deal? Coombsville is a longtime winemaker secret, having provided fruit for some of Napa Valley’s most lauded wines. Now the secret is out with estate grown wines from the region dominating conversations about Napa Valley.
2. “Generation Next: Cult Cabs in the New Millenium”. We were incredibly excited to be a part of the panel “Napa’s Generation Next: Cult Cabs in the new Millenium” at the 2012 Pebble Beach Food and Wine event alongside such lauded names as Scarecrow, Dana Estate, Ovid and Futo!
3. Epic multi city Meteor Vineyard “Vertical Tour”. The entire Meteor Vineyard team joined forces in the spring for a vertical tasting tour for nearly 500 Meteor Vineyard fans. Even cooler was where they took place; Tumblr HQ in New York, Soho House in Los Angeles and The George Town Club Washington D. C.
4. The magnificent 2012 vintage. Everything you have heard is true – the 2012 vintage was SPECTACULAR.
5. Interactive Coombsville Map. We have always enjoyed the slight kitsch quality of the illustrated maps you see in souvenir shops around the world. We used this foundation to design an interactive map of Coombsville exploring the wineries and attributes that make the new AVA unique and distinctive.
6. New Website. If you haven’t visited the site in a while check it out; from critics reviews to our social media activity, from purchasing our current releases to learning more about past vintages, it’s all here.
7. Events, Events, Events. In 2012 we took part in some of the hottest food and wine events and wine auctions in the US including; Auction Napa Valley, Sun Valley Wine Auction, Jackson Hole Wine Auction, Pebble Beach Food and Wine, Los Angeles Food and Wine, Heart’s Delight Wine Auction, Cabernet for Connoisseurs and many others.
8. New Distribution Markets. As acclaim for the Meteor Vineyard wines has spread we have many fans across the country asking where they can get them in their local markets. In 2012 we garnered new distribution partners in a number of states including New York, Pennsylvania, Colorado and Texas. In the coming months look for the wines in a couple of additional markets including Florida, North Carolina and Georgia.
9. Meteor Vineyard’s resident chef (and owner) Barry Schuler’s Thanksgiving extravaganza. A photo essay captures it all.
10. Critical Success. While we have always made wine for ourselves (and in a style we love) we are continually heartened by the praise from professional wine critics.
Now what? Our 2009 Special Family Reserve will be released late March 2013 followed by the release of our 2010 Perseid in September – mark your calendars! In between we will be taking part in events ranging from Cabernet for Connoisseurs to the Staglin Music Festival. Check out our events page for details!
We wish you an exciting and bountiful 2013.
The Meteor Vineyard Team
It is no secret that the last three vintages we released are absolute stunners. Revisiting the wines over the recent Thanksgiving holiday we were struck by the clarity of vintage expression in each wine. The 2007 vintage captures that combination of richness and structure that made the vintage (justifiably) famous. 2008 continues to be overly precocious, with a seamless combination of aromatics, richness on the palate and supple well integrated tannins. 2009 is the baby of the group melding the intensity and structure of 07 with the 08's aromatic complexity. We keep hearing from Meteor fans that they are waiting to pull the cork on the wines as they age gracefully in the cellar. This is a perfect opportunity to taste three vintages of what Wine and Spirit's Patrick Comiskey refers to as "Coombsville's Cru" side by side!
We are excited to offer a limited number of three bottle Meteor Vineyard Perseid vertical packs containing one bottle each from the 2007, 2008 and 2009 vintages packaged in a custom wood box. The perfect gift to yourself (if you've been good) or for wine loving friends. Free shipping on orders placed by Sunday December 9. Wines to ship December 11. Click here to place your order.
The entire Meteor Vineyard team wishes you and your family the happiest of holidays!
P.S. The Meteor Vineyard wines are sold at many of the nations top restaurants including Daniel Boulud's Daniel in NYC, Thomas Keller's French Laundry in Napa Valley, Gary Danko's eponymous namesake in San Francisco and Robert Gel Gado's Cafe Annie in Houston. Check out the full list of restaurant partners here and celebrate the holidays with Meteor at your favorite!